Subscribe to WEARABLE ART by Mimi Pinto by Email WEARABLE ART by Mimi Pinto: Fiber Art

Thursday 19 December 2013

Fiber Art

Art with Fiber

I absolutely love working with Natural Fibers.  It is amazing just how many textures and effects you can create by mixing fibers.  Don't get me wrong synthetic fibers too are very exciting and they do play an important role in design detailing. Mixing them up with natural fibers creates even more variants.

I started work on my scarf with just that in mind.  Most of my fiber art works end up as scarves, because I like to be able to use my art and some turn into clothing like Vests, Shrug's and Coats

Keeping the palette fairly neutral, I wanted to bring out the textural quality and yet maintain a very fine translucent lacy look. Drape quality is very important to me in a scarf, it has to be cozy comfy delicate all the things that a scarf should be.

So I laid the base in a pale un-dyed cream wool on this I laid squares of white cotton and a slightly darker cream almost like a milky frothy cappuccino.  I then laid some more cream wool around the edges to take away the sharper edges of the cotton.  I liked these squares running the length of the scarf consecutively.  on the darker squares I incorporated some gold patches and detailed this with a sea anemone pattern in a dark wool. The white cotton squares were detailed in a more loose twirl in a lighter wool.  The scarf looks cool and summery and yet warm and cozy for winter.

The Completed Scarf

What do you think? I would love to know.  If you have a special scarf, do post -  Photos, Comments, Descriptions.  I'd love to have a look see too.  

INSPIRATION IN EVERYTHING !!! +Google Art Project +deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment